Saturday, March 31, 2012

march bookstand

Only two this month. I have been slogging through a book on George IV and his wife Caroline's effect on the state of the English monarchy, which, while interesting, is taking me a while.

The rest of my time has been spent catching up on a considerable backlog of The New Yorker. There were quite a few great articles awaiting my attention, including a heart-breaking one about the Abuelas de Plaza de Mayo in Argentina and a fascinating look at the training of police dogs in New York City.

So for the two books I did get finished:

The Second Time We Met, by Leila Cobo
Highly recommend. This was a gripping perspective on adoption from three points of view: the birth mother, the adoptive parents, and the adoptee. The majority of the story is set in Colombia, and provides an interesting perspective on the country.

1105 Yakima Street, by Debbie Macomber
Recommend, if you have read the first ten books in the series... I am a Debbie Macomber junkie, but I am happy to see this series coming to an end. One more book and then done, and I feel compelled to march along to the bitter end. The woman's prolificacy is nothing short of astonishing, however.

Only one book from the bookshelf, but maybe I will finish the English history one for next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment