Wednesday, April 29, 2009

state of chaos

Everyone, please update your address books. It appears that we have moved here permanently.

It seems that getting our entire upstairs painted in one fell swoop was not enough crazy for us. We decided that the 80s-era pink carpeting had to go as well. This decision made perfect sense while we had everything torn up for the painting job. It turns out, however, that you cannot snap your fingers and get carpeting installed the next day, unless you are willing to settle for cardboard. We had to wait just long enough for sanity to be somewhat restored, and then rip it all out again.

Except this time, we decided to take things up a notch. This time, we had to empty every bedroom and the storage closet, all at the same time, plus all the bureau drawers. So let's take a little tour of our house, aka the asylum.

The family room and front hall:

DSCN0309 DSCN0310

The living room and dining room:

DSCN0311 DSCN0314

The boys' bathroom and our tub:

DSCN0315 DSCN0320

(To answer the inevitable question: there is no hardwood flooring under the carpet. The house was built in the 80s. There is just plywood, although we were pleasantly surprised to find out that the builder (who was also the original owner) had installed a noise barrier under the carpet. Given the bone-rattling noise my boys can generate up there, I can only imagine how much worse it would be without the soundproofing.)

My LSH was musing about the cost of getting fairies to come in and sprinkle fairy dust and magically get it all back together again. For my part, I have spent the past two days ranting and raving about how much junk we have (I may have even used the word "crap" once or twice) and threatening that only 50% will be allowed back in the rooms. This has caused widespread wailing and gnashing of teeth from my boys who, of course, don't play with 90% of it anyway.

And did I mention that I am taking the boys camping this weekend for Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival? Not quite sure how I'm going to pull that off. I need some of those magic fairies myself.

2 comments:

  1. Ask Val, my house looks like that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you just wanted us to see how neat your drawers were.

    ReplyDelete