Thursday, April 2, 2009

hurry scurry

I have had the words "write a blog post about shearing, per Mr. Weekend Farmer's request" on my to-do list for the last three days. As you may have guessed from the title, this ain't that post. I will get to it soon, I promise! But for now, we are off to the races again here in more ways than one...

LSH left at 6:30 this morning for an overnight trip to the wilderness with Primo and the rest of the township's 7th grade class. Please send up a prayer for his sanity. Good thing I got up early, because...

The painters arrived at 7 am to repaint LSH's office. It will be a tight turnaround, but we think we can have the office open for business again at 11 am Monday morning. I had to serve them their morning cup of joe quickly, because...



IMG_4291

Charlie required an emergency trip to the vet this morning, after partially removing one of his toenails last night. He is now on bed rest, and sporting a lovely bandage. After dropping him home, I had to rush to the preschool for pickup because...

Terzo had a playdate. This was actually the least stressful part of my day, despite the fact that I had to cook them lunch. They played together beautifully and stayed out of my hair while I baked because...

Secondo's class had a "Celebration of Learning" today, to present their combined knowledge of the State of New Jersey. This included food and drink representative of the state. He wanted to bring blueberries; after calculating the cost of several pints when one measly little pint* was $4, I settled for the one pint and figured the kids wouldn't eat that much. That wasn't good enough, because...



IMG_4285

He had a fit about my stinginess. So during the playdate, I cobbled together a recipe for blueberry bread. It turns out that while there are a billion recipes for blueberry muffins, blueberry bread isn't quite as popular, and my mini-muffin pans are at someone else's house right now. I managed to turn out two loaves and made it to school with seconds to spare. I was really glad I busted my heinie to make two loaves, because...



IMG_4292

This is how much was eaten. While I was distracted by talking to 4th graders about their projects, Terzo was stuffing himself with rice krispie treats in the shape of a horsehead (state animal) and washing them down with copious amounts of cranberry juice (grown in the outer coastal plain). I didn't really pay attention when he threw away his uneaten popcorn (grown all over the state), saying that he didn't feel well. This should have been a big warning, because...

Popcorn is what the kid lives on. Luckily, I DID listen when he urgently begged me to help him as he held his hands over his mouth. Equally luckily, the girl's bathroom was right across the hall and he managed to make it to a stall before relieving himself of the toxic combo of rice krispie treats plus cranberry juice. (Your mental picture of this event should include me balancing the blueberry bread platter in one hand while coaching the kid to hit the target with the other.) He's feeling fine now, without all that acid sloshing around. And now, I am rushing to get this post up, because...

I have to go to work. No wait! Breaking news. Work was cancelled, just as I was typing those last words. I am going to quickly publish this, because...

I think I will go put my feet up.

*ETA: I went back and checked the container, and it wasn't even a pint, it was a whopping 6 oz!


1 comment:

  1. Geez Kris! I just had coffee spewing out of my nose I laughed so hard. Oh dear, glad you got to put your feet up at last! I remember those days, although not with 3 kids!

    ReplyDelete