Tuesday, December 24, 2013

joy

Christmas Eve with children and friends and family. Is there anything more filled with joy, or that serves as a better reminder of all the blessings in life? I have always thought that Christmas Eve is the best day of the holiday. The work and stress is (more or less) over, and the air is scented with sweet anticipation.



Even our guest towels are echoing the refrain.

I was under the weather yesterday, and fretting about how I was going to get the last two hats done: one hat was out of yarn, and the other was out of time. This morning, the answer was crystal clear: I wasn't. I let go, and immediately felt better.


I picked out a label custom-made for the day, and packed up the half-done hats, on needles with yarn still attached. The recipients will understand, I think.



In the spirit of the season, and after a bit of a rocky day together, the boys found their own joy. For the first time in many, many years, they decided to share a room tonight. The joy of family, the joy of love, the joy of sharing anticipation and excitement together: it's all wrapped up in that one over-burdened bunk bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment