Wednesday, August 1, 2012

correspondence

I started a tradition after fair two years ago, of writing a little note to each 4-H club member. I tell them at least one positive thing that I noticed about their efforts over the weekend. It is a great exercise for me, to focus on the contributions that each kid is making. Some are more subtle than others, but all of them have done at least one thing! It helps me remember why I think they are such a great bunch of kids, even if they do drive me nuts upon occasion.

Plus, I figure, who doesn't like getting things in the mail?

(On a side note, this whole postal service mess has me quite worried. They just cleaned out the sorting equipment from our post office in town, having moved that function to a larger facility. It looks so empty in the back now... I am praying that our little office stays put, because it is the linchpin of our main street. And in light of my recent experience with UPS, I shudder to think what happens if the USPS is privatized.)

The muse struck me tonight, and I have been scribbling away on my fair notes. I keep my eye out all year for suitable cards, and I love the correspondence cards I turned up this year in the clearance bin at Michaels:



Clockwise from left, the quotes at the top say:
  • "Your imagination is your preview of life's coming attractions." (Albert Einstein)
  • "Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling." (Margaret Lee Runbeck)
  • "A warm smile is the universal language of kindness." (William Arthur Ward)

They are similar to a postcard, but with an envelope. As with all good stationary, they make the process of writing each one a delight. The fact that I paid 99 cents for a pack of 8 makes them even more enjoyable!

Writing an old-fashioned note is an art form that doesn't deserve to be lost. Go ahead... send a note to someone today. Not a text, not an e-mail. Help to keep the tradition alive, for a little while longer at least.

4 comments:

  1. Love the cards! I have a bunch of thank-you's to write and you have inspired me to get cracking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a sweet thing to do! I'll bet some of the kids will treasure those cards forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you neglected to mention is that there are nearly 30 4H members! The notes, along with all the other fair responsibilities, are a huge undertaking. The kids do love getting mail esp. when it comes bearing many compliments. You really are an amazing leader in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Amy...The notes are very sweet and it is very much appreciated :-)

    ReplyDelete