Saturday, February 7, 2015

google needlefelting

Imagine my surprise when I went to do a search online today, and this extraordinary google doodle popped up. Sorry, you'll have to click on the link to see it, because I don't want to violate any copyright by putting it directly on my page, but it's worth it, I promise!

(By way of background, "google doodles" are the artwork that grace the google home page from time to time, and incorporate the google name in a creative fashion. Sometimes they commemorate a historical event or holiday, sometimes they are interactive, always they are entertaining, at least to easily-amused me.)

First point in its favor: Laura Ingalls Wilder. I read her "Little House" books over and over again when I was younger, and have done so a couple times as an adult as well. If I had to trace my desire to be more self-sufficient, and viewpoint that life on a farm is a desired life goal, to any particular source, her books would have to be at the top of the list.

Second point, and I didn't entirely trust my eyes: are those dolls needlefelted? As explained in this step-by-step blog post, they sure enough are. Even the "amber waves of grain" effect is done with a clever use of dyed wool roving. Amazing that needlefelting has become mainstream enough to appear in a google doodle! The figures and finished project are beautiful work, so hats off to the creators.




The doodle prompted me to pull out my favorite needlefelted figure, made by a talented teenager and purchased a few years back at Garden State Sheep Breeders Festival. It reminds me of a sweet and special time in my life, as my boys are getting bigger and bigger and certainly out of my arms. Unfortunately Valentine, with her unnatural attraction to wool of all kinds, kept pulling it down to play with, so I had it hidden from her view. I have cautiously placed it back where I can see it, with fingers crossed that it will escape her diabolical notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment