Monday, May 19, 2014

perfect buttons

It took me almost five months and innumerable stores, but I am happy to report that I finally have buttons for my favorite cotton sweater. Of course, they were completely different from what I thought the perfect button would be. Pre-conceived notions have such a nasty habit of rarely panning out.



I had tucked the sweater into a spare corner on the way down to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival, though there weren't too many of those to be found in the packed pick-up cab. A break on Saturday allowed for a quick scout around the fairgrounds and I happened on Melissa Jean's booth. What beautiful, wonderful, unique buttons. She had yellow buttons that I thought would do the trick, but when I brought the sweater back, they were nowhere close to the right color. I turned to the white buttons... cream buttons... no dice.





Melissa pointed out that the sweater is more orange in tone. Her assistant picked up the brown spirals, and held them up. Perfect. I never would have thought to try them. I pointed out to Melissa that her helper had quite a talent, and she readily agreed.



The sweater and a long sleeve t-shirt were the perfect match today for the wool socks that I am still wearing in May. I am always so happy to be getting one last use out of them before summer swelter sets in. It makes me feel like I am cheating Mother Nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment