Wednesday, February 8, 2012

keeper scarf

There was one completed scarf that wasn't in that pile on the front hall table.



See the pink and purple scarf he is knitting in this picture? He had made it for one of his girl cousins, with the intention of making a second for the other cousin. Then his aunt had a third girl cousin and he threw in the towel on the whole project.


It was not his first scarf. His first scarf was a learner's special, full of mystery holes and undulating width to give it interest. His littlest brother, the intended recipient, didn't care and was happy to wear it, even before the ends were woven in.



It was his second scarf, which he made for a 4-H presentation on "Ways to Make Cloth" when he was in 4th grade. He knit a scarf, wove a scarf, and wet-felted a scarf. It was quite a bit of effort for a 4th grader! I can't bring myself to throw any of these presentation boards away, so I finally found the scarf, still draped on that particular board with the other two.



I thought about sending it in, but I just couldn't do it. It probably wouldn't have sold anyway, but that wasn't the point. I'll pack it back away for him to decide on the eventual recipient himself. Hard as it is for me to think about, it just may be a girl of his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment