Sunday, May 22, 2011

new residents

For a while now, I have been meaning to blog about Survivor Chicken starting up with eggs again -- since March, or was it February? Faithful Reader Amy kept reminding me that I had to update the "currently harvesting" category to include eggs, and I kept forgetting. I even took a picture of the darn eggs we were getting every other day or so, and still no update...


One of these things is not like the others;
can you pick out the store-bought yolk?

And then nature and my own stupidity took care of the situation for me. The night before we left for Maryland, my brain was in a complete fuzz and I forgot to close the chicken house door after they roosted for the night. You can guess what my LSH found in the morning. Lots of feathers, but no chickens.

Insert [guilt-ridden feelings] here.

Yesterday, a few new recruits joined the farm team, after reassurances that we would be a bit more mindful in the future. We are very fortunate that someone in our 4-H club sells laying hens, because they can be hard to find.


From front to back, Blackie, Goldie and Lacey;
an Australorp, a Rhode Island Red, and a Golden-Laced Wyandotte.



The old chickens are dead; long live the new chickens!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your chicken tragedy. The new egg layers look like a very nice bunch!

    ReplyDelete