Thursday, January 6, 2011

the big reveal

Remember when I asked you all to cross your fingers? Well, you can uncross them now. I can finally tell you that it worked, and I hope no one got any cramps in the process.

The front of the latest issue of Piecework magazine (January/February 2011) looks like this:


See the cover blurb on the right, "Knitting at the White House"?

Yeah. I wrote that. This blog post became this article:



The toughest part was not being able to share with the greater world my struggles to translate the pattern from antique knit-speak and then produce one square using bedspread cotton and size 00 needles -- smaller than toothpicks, and I could only complain to my immediate family. Unfortunately I didn't even have time to take a picture before fedexing the sample to the magazine, so if you want to see what I came up with, you'll have to take a look at the picture accompanying the article and pattern.

As you may have figured out by now, my germ of an idea was to work on a something that could be published. A magazine article about historical knitting wasn't what I had in mind at the time, but the door that is opened isn't always the one you expect.

I loved walking through this one, though. I'll keep you posted on the other places it might lead -- fingers crossed.

5 comments:

  1. Bravo!! Not surprised, but very excited and suitably impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful Kris!...I have to pick up this issue and read your article...Is it already on newsstands?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Kris, that's great! I will definitely seek it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exciting! Can't wait to pick this one up. (get it hahahahhahah knitting joke!) argh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Checked Wal-Mart and B&N both are sold out! Have to check LYS. You are very popular.

    ReplyDelete