Friday, July 23, 2010

fof: mustard ranch zucchini salad

Before I even start this post, I have to come clean that it is very lean on illustrative pictures. I really thought I had taken tons of pictures, despite the fact that I was throwing this dish together right before approximately twenty 4-H kids and their parents were due to show up at our house for a potluck dinner and meeting this week.

In fact, I was absolutely sure I had. But when I checked my good camera, no dice. When I checked my little camera, thinking that maybe I had taken leave of my senses and used it instead (because my senses were obviously already gone anyway, what with me agreeing to have all those kids at the house), these were all the pictures I found.


Luckily you are all intelligent people who will be able to master this recipe in spite of the lack of illustration. It's a great dish for changing up zucchini, and most of us, at least those of us not afflicted with fungus and rot, are swimming in the stuff this time of year.

This is definitely one for those small to medium tender guys. It would not work for larger seedier ones.

Mustard Ranch Zucchini Salad
(not to be confused with Mustang Ranch)

3 to 4 medium sized zucchini, unpeeled, sliced thin
1.5 T light ranch dressing
1.5 T light mayonnaise
1 T plain yogurt or sour cream
1 t deli/brown mustard (i.e., not the yellow kind)
1/2 t salt
1/2 t paprika (optional)
1 t chopped chives or parsley (optional)

Mix together everything but the zucchini slices. Pour the mixture over the sliced zucchini and allow to set for 5-10 minutes. Mix well together, coating the zucchini slices, and allow to sit for another 5-10 minutes (or more). Serve at room temperature. Note: If the consistency seems slightly dry to you after mixing it together, just add a little more yogurt.

So you can get an idea of what the finished product should look like, here are the leftovers, taken very artistically the next day in a purple plastic sundae dish from Walmart:



I really outdid myself this week. And with our county 4-H fair starting a week from today, I feel it is only fair (ha!) to warn you that this coming week will probably be a lot more of the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment