Saturday, June 20, 2015

garden guilt

If you are a long-time reader of this blog, or you know me IRL, then you know that a garden is a key part of our summer existence.

Except this year.

The blog is just the latest in a long line of neglect. The garden was one of the first, compounded by the fact that the raised beds were left empty by the last two winters. If it hadn't been for Secondo's insistence on ordering seeds, getting them started under lights by himself, etc., etc., then I certainly would have thrown in the towel on this one and been content to buy from local farmers.

But he didn't give up. He kept plugging along, and people kept giving him plants, and it turned into a garden in tiny pots out on the deck. A few weeks ago, Primo asked me if Secondo had talked to me about replacing the topsoil. He must have heard a note of desperation in my voice when I admitted that I had no idea how I was going to find the time to deal with that.




I came home from work the next night to find Primo shoveling topsoil into the beds, after a hard day's work himself for a local landscaper, while the other two... Well, you can see for yourself. They are going a great job holding up those rakes.

Yet more guilt. I tried to beat it back by reasoning with myself that I don't have time any more because I am working to pay his college tuition bill. Plus he is eating us out of house and home, so it's only right that he is contributing to food production around here.

I still felt guilty, compounded by the fact that the tiny pots remained on the back deck.

Secondo's sophomore year of high school ended yesterday. Today, he and his father and I finally got the garden planted.




It is late, it may even be too late, but at least it's in. It's one less thing to feel guilty about.

2 comments:

  1. Kris, it is never too late in NJ!! We put ours in about two weeks ago...Memorial Day weekend.. It is rampant with the heat and rain!! Just wait...you will be glad it's in!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. Not too late. I don't even think about putting zucchini in until July 1st. I can usually avoid squash vine borers by doing that.

    ReplyDelete