Tuesday, December 6, 2011

bittersweet

While I was in Rhinebeck, my friend Mel admired the gloves I was wearing.



The yarn, Lana Grosso Chiara, had been a birthday gift from my brother and sister-in-law, along with a suggested pattern. I decided to honor their choice and work it exactly as intended when gifted. The yarn is not something I would have normally picked out myself, and that made it all the more wonderful. I loved working with, loved its slight sheen and halo, and adore the finished result. I even made a cowl to go along with it:


(Pardon the blocking picture, but it is the best way to see the lovely pattern:
Eleanor from Knitty Deep Fall 2010.)

Mel like them so much that I decided to make her a matching pair to thank her for bringing her sheep along for the breed display, two years in a row now. I chose orange because her son goes to Virginia Tech, and she wears a lot of orange and maroon to commemorate that!



Just after I finished the mitts, I heard some very sad news from Mel about her farm. Long story short, she probably won't have sheep to bring next year, which has understandably made her quite sad.

Now the color seems the perfect shade of bittersweet.

2 comments:

  1. How nice of you to knit those up for Mel! They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These mitts are even more gorgeous in person!

    ReplyDelete